Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Determine the special piece type, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] We want to spawn one of…the two Prefabs we made in the previous video…when the player matches four in a row.…Open the grid class and add two new piece types:…"Row Clear" and "Column Clear."…Save and go back to the editor.…Click on the grid object and in the inspector,…increase the size of the piece Prefabs' array to five.…Element three will be our row-clear piece type…and element four will be the column-clear piece type.…Then, drag the Prefabs for these pieces into the inspector.…
When we make a match,…we check if the match contains four pieces,…and if it does, we spawn a new special game piece.…The piece type is determined by the…direction the player moved the pieces.…If they swapped two pieces that were in the same row,…they'll create a row-clearing piece…and if they swapped two pieces in the same column,…they'll create a column-clearing piece.…The piece will be spawned at the position…of the piece the player moved.…If four in a row occurred just from filling the board,…and not from the player swapping pieces,…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 46m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.