Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Custom editor limitations, part of Building Custom Tools to Extend the Unity IDE.
- [Voiceover] So now we have a better handle…on how custom editors work…inside of the Unity IDE.…But there are some limitations that we have to keep in mind…as we go through and design out…these custom editors.…Let's take a look at what happens…if we try to build our game right now.…Go to the File menu,…select Build Settings,…and click the Build button.…Here, we're gonna create a new folder called Builds.…Let's save this as TestBuild.…If we attempt to build, you'll see that it will fail…and we'll get an error in the console.…
Let's close out the Build Settings…and take a look at the error.…Right now, the error's telling us…that the namespace Unity editor cannot be found.…The issue that's happening…is that you can't compile custom editors…with your game code.…Let's double click on this error…and open it up in MonoDevelop.…Here you'll see it's gonna take us…directly to the namespace Unity editor.…This namespace is not included…when a compiled takes place.…Therefore, it throws an error…because it can't find the code.…
One way we can get around this…
- Exposing variables to the Inspector
- Providing attributes to Inspector fields
- Extending the base editor
- Creating custom UI elements
- Modifying the layout of a custom editor
- Building a custom window
- Saving and loading data
- Creating a reorderable list
- Skinning custom inspectors
- Exporting assets as Unity packages
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
1. Introduction to the Inspector
2. Build Custom Editors in Unity
3. Create Custom UI Elements in Unity
4. Build a Custom Window in Unity
5. Saving and Loading Data in Unity
6. Advanced UI
7. Skinning Custom Inspectors
8. Export Custom Code
Code organization4m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.