Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Create the HUD, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] The HUD or Heads Up Display will let…the player know important information while they're…playing the game.…For our game, this will be things like the number of…moves left, the target score, and the players current score.…You can find all the assets for the user interface…in textures UI.…Open the Level 1 scene, create a new UI image…by going to Game Object, UI, Image.…You'll have to zoom out a lot to see the UI canvas.…The canvas is the thing that draws our UI.…
In the Inspector, set the UI scale mode to…scale with screen size.…This way, our UI won't get cut off,…even on smaller screens.…Set the reference resolution to 1920 x 1080.…This is the resolution I used when I generated…the UI assets.…Our HUD will have three elements.…The remaining moves, or time, depending on the level type,…the players current score, and how many stars they have,…and the target score, or number of obstacles left,…again depending on the level type.…
We'll start with the number of moves,…or time remaining.…You don't have to use the exact same values your UI…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 47m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.