Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Clear obstacles, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] To clear a bubble obstacle one of the…pieces adjacent to it needs to be cleared.…Open the grid script and create…a new function called clear obstacles.…Which takes in the x and y position…of a piece that was just cleared.…This function will search for obstacles in the…adjacent pieces and clear them.…So when we clear a piece with the clear piece function…we'll also clear any obstacles around the piece…by calling clear obstacles X-Y.…Now let's fill out clear obstacles.…
First we'll look at all the adjacent…pieces to the left and right.…If the coordinate is the same as the x value we…passed in we ignore it since we just…want to look at the adjacent pieces.…We also only want to look at pieces…that are within the dimensions of our grid.…We check if the adjacent piece is a bubble type piece.…And we check if it's clearable.…If it is we call the clear function and spawn a new…empty piece to replace the bubble.…The reason we're not calling our clear piece function here…is because that is only for normal game pieces.…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 47m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.