Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Call HUD functions, part of Build a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Now our level class just needs to cull…these functions to update the HUD.…First, our level needs a reference to the HUD object.…Open the level script and add a new…variable for the HUD.…Open the scene for level one…and connect to the HUD reference.…Do this for all of the level scenes.…Then go back to the level script.…In the start function of the level class,…we'll begin by setting the score.…Since the game just started this will be zero.…
In game win and game lose,…we'll call the appropriate functions on the HUD.…Finally, whenever we update the score…we also have to update the HUD.…In OnPieceCleared we can replace our debugged text…with the cull to set score.…We still need to cull the set remaining,…set target and set level type functions.…Since these are dependent on the level type,…we can't cull them from the base-level class.…Instead, we'll cull them in the scripts for each…of our different level types.…
We'll start with the moves level type.…In Start, we'll cull all of the functions to update the HUD.…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Unity 5: Build a Real-Time Strategy Gamewith Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 46m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.