Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Build a keyboard window, part of Unity 5: 2D Advanced UI.
- [Voiceover] So now that we have a way…of managing the windows in our scene,…let's go ahead and add a new one.…We're going to create a window…that will represent a virtual keyboard…that you might use in a game…to add a name for a character…or put in a name after a high score.…We'll do this by right-clicking…on the canvas and creating a new panel.…Let's go ahead…and change the colors alpha to 100 percent…and change the background image to our palate four.…
We'll also rename this keyboard window.…Next let's add an empty game object…to the keyboard window.…We're going to call this keyboard group.…Let's go ahead…and adjust the x and y positions…by setting them to zero zero.…We'll also go ahead and change the width to 200.…Let's add a new image component…and we will set this to the window border.…This will be the base for where our virtual keyboard…will exist.…
Next we're going to want to create a vertical layout group.…Let's add this to the keyboard group…and type in vertical layout group.…We'll go ahead and change the padding.…
Unity expert Jesse Freeman helps you design your UI using custom prefabs (reusable UI elements), UI components such as windows and buttons, simple buildup animations, and transitions. He also helps you create a window manager to guide changes and relationships between windows, and extend the window system with a custom Unity editor that lets you standardize window display and navigation throughout your game.
- Creating Unity prefabs: fonts, colors, buttons, and labels
- Adding a title, credits, and buttons to the start screen
- Adding a game over screen
- Creating animated stats for the game over screen
- Transitioning between windows
- Building a keyboard window
- Mouse, keyboard, and controller navigation
- Building a custom Unity editor for managing in-game windows
- Adding a window to select difficulty level
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Building a Tile Map Editorwith Jesse Freeman1h 38m Intermediate
1. Create UI Prefabs in Unity
2. Create a Start Screen in Unity
3. Create a Game Over Screen in Unity
4. Create a Window Manager
The window manager3m 45s
5. Create a Virtual Keyboard Window
6. Extend the Window System
7. Add a Difficulty Window in Unity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.