Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Build a custom window, part of Building Custom Tools to Extend the Unity IDE.
- [Voiceover] So now that we've worked with the Inspector…and building our own custom Editor,…let's take a look at how to build our own Window.…Inside of our Editor folder, let's create a new C# Script.…We're going to call this TestWindow,…and let's open it up in MonoDevelop.…Now, in order to turn this class into a Window,…we're going to need to import the UnityEditor name space.…Next, let's replace MonoBehaviour…with the EditorWindow class.…
Now our TestWindow will extend the EditorWindow.…Let's delete the Start and Update methods,…since we won't be using them.…Now, in order for us to initialize a Window,…we're going to need to create a static method.…In this case, we're going to call it Init.…We're going to link this static method…to an item in Unity's Menu system.…To do this, we're going to create an attribute…called MenuItem, and inside of this,…we're going to pass it a string that represents the path…to where we want our Window to show up.…
Here we'll type out Window,…and then we'll call it Test Window.…Now, before we actually test this,…
- Exposing variables to the Inspector
- Providing attributes to Inspector fields
- Extending the base editor
- Creating custom UI elements
- Modifying the layout of a custom editor
- Building a custom window
- Saving and loading data
- Creating a reorderable list
- Skinning custom inspectors
- Exporting assets as Unity packages
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Introduction to the Inspector
2. Build Custom Editors in Unity
3. Create Custom UI Elements in Unity
4. Build a Custom Window in Unity
5. Saving and Loading Data in Unity
6. Advanced UI
7. Skinning Custom Inspectors
8. Export Custom Code
Code organization4m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.