Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Build a custom editor, part of Unity 5 2D: Advanced UI.
- [Voiceover] So, now that we have…our three main windows and we have…our window manager connecting them all together,…it's time to take a look at how we build a better tool…to let us organize each of the windows.…Since each window is stored in an array,…it works okay for now as we have just a small number…of windows but as your game grows…you're gonna want a better way of organizing…and especially reordering each…of the windows in the window manager.…To do this, we're going to create a custom editor.…Let's start by going into the Editor folder…where our palette is stored and create a new C-sharp class.…
We're gonna call this WindowManagerEditor.…Code that goes inside of an editor folder…will not get compiled with your final game…and is only used internally when you're…inside of the Unity IDE.…Let's open this up and start creating our custom editor.…The first thing we're gonna wanna…do is import two name spaces.…Let's type in using and we'll wanna…also use the Unity editor internal name space as well.…Next, we'll wanna replace MonoBehavior…
Unity expert Jesse Freeman helps you design your UI using custom prefabs (reusable UI elements), UI components such as windows and buttons, simple buildup animations, and transitions. He also helps you create a window manager to guide changes and relationships between windows, and extend the window system with a custom Unity editor that lets you standardize window display and navigation throughout your game.
- Creating Unity prefabs: fonts, colors, buttons, and labels
- Adding a title, credits, and buttons to the start screen
- Adding a game over screen
- Creating animated stats for the game over screen
- Transitioning between windows
- Building a keyboard window
- Mouse, keyboard, and controller navigation
- Building a custom Unity editor for managing in-game windows
- Adding a window to select difficulty level
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5 2D: Building a Tile Map Editorwith Jesse Freeman1h 38m Intermediate
1. Create UI Prefabs in Unity
2. Create a Start Screen in Unity
3. Create a Game Over Screen in Unity
4. Create a Window Manager
The window manager3m 45s
5. Create a Virtual Keyboard Window
6. Extend the Window System
7. Add a Difficulty Window in Unity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.