Join Kelley Hecker for an in-depth discussion in this video Animate filling the board, part of Building a Match 3 Game with Unity.
- [Voiceover] Now, we're going to animate our pieces…so it looks like they're actually…falling down from the top of the board,…instead of just appearing instantly.…To do this, we'll need to change…our fill function to be a coroutine.…A coroutine is a function that can execute…across multiple frames versus…a regular function which has to execute in one frame.…Open up the grid script.…We first change the return type of our fill function…to be IEnumerator, which means it's a coroutine.…We also need to change how we call fill,…since coroutines must be started with start coroutine.…
Next, we're going to add a new parameter,…called fill time, which is time between…calls to fill step.…A lower fill time means the board will fill faster.…While a higher fill time means it fills slower.…Now we just wait that many seconds…in between calls to fill step.…That way, our fill will happen gradually over time.…We can do that using "yield return new wait for seconds".…Hit save and go to the editor.…Click on the grid object in the scene and set fill time…
Game developer Kelley Hecker covers topics like creating a grid-based game board, using inheritance to create different types of game pieces, adding obstacles and new levels, detecting matches and clearing pieces, and implementing a user interface complete with a score screen. By the end of the course, members will have a completed game and learned new techniques to apply to their next Unity project.
- Creating a game board grid
- Creating and scripting game pieces
- Filling the board
- Creating obstacles
- Swapping pieces
- Matching pieces
- Clearing obstacles and pieces
- Creating new levels
- Creating the user interface: HUD, game over screen, etc.
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Creating Mobile Games with Unitywith Kelley Hecker1h 12m Intermediate
Build a Real-Time Strategy Game with Unity 5with Dan Violet Sagmiller3h 46m Intermediate
1. The Game Board
2. Make a Move
3. Special Piece Types
4. Level Types
5. User Interface
Next steps1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.