Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Add navigation to the keyboard, part of Unity 5: 2D Advanced UI.
- [Voiceover] So now we're ready to wire up…each of the buttons in our keyboard.…Before we do that, we're gonna have to add…some code to the KeyboardWindow.…Let's go to our Windows folder…and select the KeyboardWindow class.…Next let's add a new method that'll be…public void OnKeyPress and for this…we'll accept a string called key.…Every time that we have a key press,…we're gonna test to make sure that the text…length is less than the maximum characters.…
If it is, we'll add the key string that is passed…into the OnKeyPress method to our text field.…We'll do this by saying _text += key.…Now we have the method for adding…text into our KeyboardWindow.…Let's go back over to Unity and…start connecting up all of our buttons.…In order to make this process a little easier,…I have all of the buttons for row one already opened up.…Let's select each of these buttons,…scroll down to the button action,…and click the +, set it to the KeyboardWindow,…and now let's navigate down to the…KeyboardWindow class and choose OnKeyPress.…
Unity expert Jesse Freeman helps you design your UI using custom prefabs (reusable UI elements), UI components such as windows and buttons, simple buildup animations, and transitions. He also helps you create a window manager to guide changes and relationships between windows, and extend the window system with a custom Unity editor that lets you standardize window display and navigation throughout your game.
- Creating Unity prefabs: fonts, colors, buttons, and labels
- Adding a title, credits, and buttons to the start screen
- Adding a game over screen
- Creating animated stats for the game over screen
- Transitioning between windows
- Building a keyboard window
- Mouse, keyboard, and controller navigation
- Building a custom Unity editor for managing in-game windows
- Adding a window to select difficulty level
Skill Level Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Generate Procedural Terrainwith Dan Violet Sagmiller4h 4m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Unity 5: 2D Building a Tile Map Editorwith Jesse Freeman1h 38m Intermediate
1. Create UI Prefabs in Unity
2. Create a Start Screen in Unity
3. Create a Game Over Screen in Unity
4. Create a Window Manager
The window manager3m 45s
5. Create a Virtual Keyboard Window
6. Extend the Window System
7. Add a Difficulty Window in Unity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.