Join Sue Blackman for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring character controllers, part of Unity 3D: 3.5 Essential Training.
Through scripting, Unity provides us with the means of making all kinds of cool things happen.…Unfortunately, it means we're stuck with the task of doing it.…Unity only ships with a few character controllers preset and ready to go and…most are derived from the Lerpz Tutorial available on the Unity web site.…If they happen to do what you envision for your game, you're in luck.…Otherwise, you'll either need to learn to write your own, find a programmer to…write them for you, or riffle through the example projects available online and borrow their scripts.…
Writing a character controller is beyond the scope of the series, but we will at…least test out what Unity gives us to start with.…Character controllers are usually tightly integrated with camera control, so…let's get a fresh scene to play around in.…Let's start by importing the Character Tests package, right-click, Import…Package > Custom Package and from 11-04/Assets we're going to bring in Character Tests.…
Open and Import. This one comes in as a scene, so let's go ahead and load it.…
- Understanding game and level design theory
- Organizing your project in Unity
- Creating and transforming objects
- Setting up the geometry
- Painting in terrain, textures, and trees
- Adjusting the render settings
- Importing terrains
- Creating a first-person controller
- Creating materials and shaders
- Lighting the game
- Working with cameras and multiple views
- Animating characters and assets
- Creating fire with particle systems
- Managing the GUI (graphical user interface)
Skill Level Beginner
1. Exploring Unity 3D
2. Exploring the Terrain Editor
3. Creating the Environment
Publishing project settings3m 37s
4. Introducing Unity Scripting
5. In-Game Scripting
6. Working with GameObjects and Components
7. Exploring Prefabs
8. Using Imported Assets
9. Understanding Lighting
10. Keyframing Animation
11. Animating Skinned Meshes and Controlling Characters
12. Working with Cameras and Layers
13. Creating Game GUIs
14. Extra Techniques and Features
What's next1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.