Learn how to emulate palette swapping in any 2D project in Unity to efficiently reuse graphics.
- [Voiceover] Hi. My name is Jesse Freeman. And welcome to my Advanced Unity 2D Sprite Palette Swapping course. Palette Swapping is a great technique that was used in old school games to get more use out of graphics. When it comes to Palette Swapping, we would take a simple Sprite and change the colors to create new types of bad guys or items. Since Palette Swapping is not built into Unity, we're gonna build the tools to do it our self. In this course, we're gonna learn how to create custom menus, how to create a custom inspector, how to build and save scriptable objects, how to dynamically create textures at run time, how to read and replace colors from those textures, and finally, once we're done, we'll have everything we need to apply this to any project we are using 2D animation, and you want to emulate Palette Swapping.
Let's get started with Advanced Unity 2D Sprite Palette Swapping.
- Importing artwork
- Working with sprites and animations
- Creating scriptable objects
- Sampling colors from sprite textures
- Extending Unity and building a custom inspector
- Creating custom textures
- Optimizing the palettes
- Cleaning up sprites in Photoshop