Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,974 courses, including more Developer and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
- Installing Ubuntu in a virtual machine
- Installing Ubuntu as your main operating system
- Navigating the Unity Dash
- Exploring the hardware and system settings
- Working with files and folders
- Browsing the web
- Creating documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Working with photos in Shotwell
- Backing up your data
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Scott Simpson, and welcome to Up and Running with Ubuntu Desktop Linux. Ubuntu is a very popular distribution of the free Linux operating system, and in this course, I'll show you how to get started and find your way around the desktop version of release 14.04, Trusty Tahr. We'll start out with some basic history and a basic look at a few ways to install Ubuntu. I'll show you how to navigate the Unity interface. And I'll show you how to add software and how to modify some system settings.
After that, I'll give you a quick tour of some of the apps in the desktop environment. Finally, I'll show you some of the more advanced aspects that you might come across when branching out and extending your knowledge of Linux. This course is aimed at people who need to understand the basics of the desktop environment, not command-line users or system administrators. My assumption here is that you want to start exploring Linux as an alternative to Windows or Mac OS X. Or, that you work for one of the many companies or organizations that are beginning to switch to Linux and you need to get a jump-start in that new environment.
So with that in mind, let's get Up and Running with Ubuntu Desktop Linux.