Prepare for a new way of freelancing in the on-demand economy. Find out how Uber, Lyft, Airbnb, and TaskRabbit are changing the nature of work, and whether on-demand work is the right fit for you.
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Garrick Chow and welcome to Working in the On-Demand Economy. In this course, we'll take a look at how to effectively operate and work within the world of on-demand and sharing services. We'll start by finding out exactly what constitutes an on-demand job and get an introduction and primer to some of the top on-demand job providers today. I'll talk about what you can expect in an on-demand job from the company you're working through and the clients you'll be working with. We'll take a look at some strategies and tools for keeping organized and tracking things like your income, expenses and mileage.
We'll explore some ways in which you can optimize your income and save money while both on and off the job. And I'll end with a demonstration of how to sign up to work for a specific company, in this case, Uber, and the basics of how to use their driver app to pick up and drop off riders. So if you've been wondering if on-demand work and the sharing economy is right for you or if you're right for it, let's find out and get started with Working in the On-Demand Economy.
Garrick Chow explains the basic structures of the on-demand economy and the skills and characteristics of successful on-demanders, so you can determine if on-demand work is the right fit for you. Then learn about the time commitment and expectations around pay, what the employer provides, and what one can expect from clients. Garrick then discusses tools to keep you organized, including how to best track income and expenses.
Finally, the course offers tips and tricks and a case study based on the author's firsthand experience as an Uber driver.
- Preparing to work on demand
- Managing expectations from on-demand clients
- Tracking expenses and mileage
- Optimizing your income
- Getting support online
- Case study: Becoming an Uber driver