Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing to apply, part of Starting Your Career in the On-Demand Economy.
- Throughout this course, I've been talking about…working for on-demand companies in general…and have tried to keep things broad enough…that you can apply what I've been discussing…to different types of on-demand work.…But I thought I'd finish up in this chapter…by looking at how to sign up to be an Uber driver…so we can look at some specifics.…Before setting up for any on-demand work though,…you'll want to have a couple of documents handy.…In many cases, you'll have to go through…a background check and other vetting…before you can be accepted as a worker.…In Uber's case, you'll need to be able to upload…current copies of your driver's license,…proof of insurance, and state inspection…if you live in a state that requires…annual vehicle inspections.…
If you don't, Uber will require you to take your vehicle…to one of their authorized mechanics in your area…for an inspection, and you'll need to…upload their report to complete your application.…So you don't have to have the inspection document on hand…when you're applying, but you will need to send it in…
Garrick Chow explains the basic structures of the on-demand economy and the skills and characteristics of successful on-demanders, so you can determine if on-demand work is the right fit for you. Then learn about the time commitment and expectations around pay, what the employer provides, and what one can expect from clients. Garrick then discusses tools to keep you organized, including how to best track income and expenses.
Finally, the course offers tips and tricks and a case study based on the author's firsthand experience as an Uber driver.
- Preparing to work on demand
- Managing expectations from on-demand clients
- Tracking expenses and mileage
- Optimizing your income
- Getting support online
- Case study: Becoming an Uber driver
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 05/26/2017. What changed?
A: A new video was added that explains how to optimize your LinkedIn profile for on-demand work.