Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Looking at the top on-demand companies, part of Working in the On-Demand Economy.
- View Offline
- Now let's take a look at the top companies…in the on-demand economy.…This movie will give you an idea…of the general landscape of the industry,…and you may also learn about some businesses…that may interest you enough to check out…or sign up to work through.…Naturally we can't start any discussion…of on-demand businesses without mentioning Uber.…They're arguably the most well-known.…The Uber app for smartphones connects people…who need rides with drivers who use their own vehicles…to pick up and drop off customers.…This has become known as ride sharing.…Uber is currently available in over 300 cities…and over 60 countries.…
Their name is so ubiquitous with the on-demand model…that it's common place to hear other on-demand companies…describe themselves as the Uber of so and so.…Uber has become a short hand for on-demand service.…Uber's also looking for drivers.…And if they're operating where you live,…you can get started with them by clicking…the Become a Driver button up here.…When talking about Uber,…you'll also often hear Lyft mention as well.…
Garrick Chow explains the basic structures of the on-demand economy and the skills and characteristics of successful on-demanders, so you can determine if on-demand work is the right fit for you. Then learn about the time commitment and expectations around pay, what the employer provides, and what one can expect from clients. Garrick then discusses tools to keep you organized, including how to best track income and expenses.
Finally, the course offers tips and tricks and a case study based on the author's firsthand experience as an Uber driver.
- Preparing to work on demand
- Managing expectations from on-demand clients
- Tracking expenses and mileage
- Optimizing your income
- Getting support online
- Case study: Becoming an Uber driver