Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Journaling, part of Starting Your Career in the On-Demand Economy.
- In addition to keeping track of data…like your expenses and income,…you might find it useful to also keep a record…of less quantifiable information,…especially as you're just getting started…in an on-demand business.…You're going to be learning a lot of new things quickly,…so keeping a journal can be a beneficial practice…and give you a useful resource…to refer back to in the future.…For example, you might want to jot down…an unexpected problem that came up…during a job and how you resolved it.…Or you might keep a record of how much…you charge for something so you can…remain consistent in the future.…
Journals are also great for writing down…unusual or humorous situations you find yourself in.…For me, one of the benefits of working on-demand jobs…is that you often come away with great stories.…So I like to write things down anytime something…fun or different happens on the job.…I've also gotten some great tips and advice…just through conversations I've had with customers…from all types of businesses and walks of life,…
Garrick Chow explains the basic structures of the on-demand economy and the skills and characteristics of successful on-demanders, so you can determine if on-demand work is the right fit for you. Then learn about the time commitment and expectations around pay, what the employer provides, and what one can expect from clients. Garrick then discusses tools to keep you organized, including how to best track income and expenses.
Finally, the course offers tips and tricks and a case study based on the author's firsthand experience as an Uber driver.
- Preparing to work on demand
- Managing expectations from on-demand clients
- Tracking expenses and mileage
- Optimizing your income
- Getting support online
- Case study: Becoming an Uber driver
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 05/26/2017. What changed?
A: A new video was added that explains how to optimize your LinkedIn profile for on-demand work.