Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Getting support online, part of Starting Your Career in the On-Demand Economy.
- There will come a time, or more likely, several times,…when you'll have questions about how to handle…situations you come across while working your on-demand job.…By design, most on-demand companies are set up to discourage…calling in to speak to a live person for help.…Usually, both customers and workers have to go through…the official app or website to get support.…Generally, the support staff of most of these companies…are pretty quick to respond, sometimes within a few minutes.…Many of them also have systems in place for…you to signify when a problem is urgent,…like putting the word urgent in the email subject line…and they'll give those emails priority attention.…
Most companies also have detailed knowledge bases…or help centers online that you can search through to…find answers for your questions.…For example, here's Airbnb's help center for Hosts.…And here's Lyft's help center where you can choose…whether you're a passenger, a driver, or an applicant.…Here I can just click through the menus.…Now, some of the worker help centers are open to the public,…
Garrick Chow explains the basic structures of the on-demand economy and the skills and characteristics of successful on-demanders, so you can determine if on-demand work is the right fit for you. Then learn about the time commitment and expectations around pay, what the employer provides, and what one can expect from clients. Garrick then discusses tools to keep you organized, including how to best track income and expenses.
Finally, the course offers tips and tricks and a case study based on the author's firsthand experience as an Uber driver.
- Preparing to work on demand
- Managing expectations from on-demand clients
- Tracking expenses and mileage
- Optimizing your income
- Getting support online
- Case study: Becoming an Uber driver
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 05/26/2017. What changed?
A: A new video was added that explains how to optimize your LinkedIn profile for on-demand work.