Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Applying, part of Starting Your Career in the On-Demand Economy.
- OK, so once you have your documentation on hand…you can start the application process…to become an Uber driver. You can begin at Uber.com,…and then click the 'Become a Driver' button.…Here you can read some basic things about being a driver.…But there's nothing really deep here.…They're just getting across that you can make money,…set your own schedule, and be your own boss.…At the top, notice that they are explicit in stating that…you'll be doing so as an independent contractor.…So start by filling out this information.…Now I'm actually already an Uber driver,…so I'm just using a temporary email address…for this example, but be sure to enter…the email address where you'll want to receive…all driver-related communications from Uber.…
If you already have an Uber rider account,…you can use that email address,…or you can use a separate email address…for your driver account, if you like.…It's totally up to you.…Now I have to enter the city in which I intend to drive.…This is important because Uber has to be operating in a city…
Garrick Chow explains the basic structures of the on-demand economy and the skills and characteristics of successful on-demanders, so you can determine if on-demand work is the right fit for you. Then learn about the time commitment and expectations around pay, what the employer provides, and what one can expect from clients. Garrick then discusses tools to keep you organized, including how to best track income and expenses.
Finally, the course offers tips and tricks and a case study based on the author's firsthand experience as an Uber driver.
- Preparing to work on demand
- Managing expectations from on-demand clients
- Tracking expenses and mileage
- Optimizing your income
- Getting support online
- Case study: Becoming an Uber driver
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 05/26/2017. What changed?
A: A new video was added that explains how to optimize your LinkedIn profile for on-demand work.