- Developing dynamic identities
- Exploring data-driven and generative logotypes
- Spatializing letterforms with scale and dimension
- Applying transmedia typography across analog and digital media
- Exploring typography in emerging and augmented environments
- Developing typography for scenography and mediatecture
- Working with transmedia tools and video storytelling
- Exploring commercial applications such as mediatecture
Skill Level Advanced
- I'm Brad Bartlett and this is Nik Hafermass and we'd like to welcome you to Introduction of Transmedia Typography. As department chair, Nik leads the renowned graphic design program at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California. He oversees our curriculum for Print, Motion, Packaging, Interactive, and Transmedia within the Graphic Design Program. - Brad is the Director of Transmedia in our program and works closely with me to shape this exciting new direction in graphic design at Art Center.
Brad also developed the course you're about to experience and many of the examples come directly from our classrooms. - [Brad] First, we'll introduce you to the concept of transmedia by going to the roots of storytelling, followed by detailed investigation of the transmedia design process. We'll then take you through dynamic examples that illustrate key concepts and applications of transmedia typography. We'll conclude this course with an outlook into the emerging career opportunities in this vibrant future-forward, professional field.
- [Nik] Can you imagine a future where typography is alive and dynamic? - [Brad] Where logotypes react to changing weather conditions? - [Nik] Where they grow fur in the winter time? - [Brad] Where bioluminescent letter forms swim through the deep ocean? - [Nik] Can we imagine a future where typography is data driven? - [Brad] Where logotypes can be folded into delicate origami structures? - [Nik] Where letter forms provide seating for an event? - [Brad] We don't have to imagine that future, we're living in it right now. - [Nik] This is the second digital revolution. The internet is no longer trapped behind glass.
Architecture is alive with data, refining how people interact with the built environment. - Digital technology has triggered one of the most explosive periods of change in human history. In this revolution, a transmedia designer is a storyteller who has choices, a designer who can express ideas seamlessly across a vast horizon of emerging design opportunities. - Transmedia designers are innovators who take risks, who fearlessly explore new ways of bringing us together.
With a whole host of new career opportunities ahead, transmedia designers are more than visual problem solvers, they become opportunity seekers, helping to define the challenges and opportunities that lie before us. As you can probably tell, we're passionate about transmedia and we have so much to share with you. - So join us as we dive into the dynamic experience of Transmedia Typography.