In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows how to download and install the Twitter app on a mobile device. She provides a walkthrough of how to use Twitter on an iPad.
- [Instructor] It's easy to add Twitter to a tablet. You can download Twitter from the Google Play Store, and it's also built into the iOS settings. I'm on an iPad right now, and it works similarly if you're using an iPhone. Tap Settings, and scroll down all the way to the left-hand side to find Twitter. You'll need to put in your Twitter User Name and Password. When you're prompted to install the Twitter app, tap Install. You'll need to sign in to the App Store if you haven't already done that. Once it's loaded, tap the Twitter icon, and you're brought in to your Twitter timeline.
Tap OK if you'd like to see notifications on your mobile device, or Don't Allow if you don't want any notifications. You can also give Twitter permission to use your location while you use the app, or Don't Allow if you don't want it to. From here, you can scroll through your mobile device. You can see Tweets. You can tap on Tweets and view them. You can tap the Reply arrow to reply to a Tweet. I'll tap the X to close out of it. You can tap the other arrows to Retweet.
You can tap the heart to like it. And you can also tap the Message icon to send a direct message. I'm going to tap the arrow in the top, left-hand side of the screen to get back to my timeline. From any Tweet in the timeline, you have the same icons. You can tap the triangle on the top, right-hand side of every Tweet to do even more things with that Tweet. Most of it you'll recognize that we've learned throughout the course. At the bottom of the screen, I can tap to see all my Notifications.
I have Moments. I can tap the envelope to see my direct Messages. And I can tap the Me icon on the very bottom, right-hand side of the screen to get in to my profile. In my profile, I can see the same things that I can see on my profile on the computer. I can tap to edit it right from here, and I can tap the gear icon to get in to my Lists. To create a new Tweet at any time, tap the Tweet icon in the very top, right-hand side of the screen.
If this is the first time you're using Twitter, you can tap OK to give it permission to access your photos so that you can include photos with your Tweet, or Don't Allow if you don't want to do this. From here, you can tap inside the dialog box and type your Tweet. Tap the Tweet button, and it's been sent. To get back to your timeline at any time, tap the Home button on the bottom, left-hand side of the screen. The blue dot indicates that there are new Tweets that haven't been seen yet.
To refresh your timeline, take your finger and drag it down from the top of the screen. When you let go, the screen will be refreshed, and any new Tweets will show up in the view.
- Understanding Twitter and microblogging
- Finding friends by searching your contacts
- Creating and viewing your Twitter profile
- Composing a tweet
- Creating a Twitter poll
- Using hashtags
- Deleting, pinning, and sharing tweets
- Navigating an individual tweet
- Interacting with tweets and users
- Exploring Twitter settings
- Creating a Twitter Moment
- Creating lists of Twitter users