Recent disclosures of intelligence agency techniques revealed that governments target Tor communications. In this video, Mike Chapple explains what these revelations mean for Tor users.
- [Instructor] We've already discussed the fact … that while Tor provides a valuable tool for privacy … and anonymity of internet traffic, it is not invincible. … Users still must take precautions … to protect their communications … because sophisticated adversaries … may be able to exploit vulnerabilities to undermine … the security of communication sent over the Tor network. … In the next few videos, we will dig into a few examples … of how those attacks might work. … The attacks we'll be discussing … are all real world exploits against Tor … that were developed and used by … the U.S. National Security Agency … and the U.K. General Communications Headquarters. … While these intelligence agencies … normally keep their tools and techniques secret, … the release of government secrets by Edward Snowden … brought some of them into the public spotlight. … One of the documents included in Snowden's release … was this PowerPoint presentation titled Tor Stinks. … Created in 2012, this presentation includes details …
- What is the dark web and who uses it?
- The purpose of the Tor Browser
- Cryptography and perfect forward secrecy
- Installing the Tor Browser
- Accessing the standard internet with the Tor Browser
- Safeguarding privacy on Tor
- The role of hidden servers on the dark web
- Locating and accessing hidden websites
- Vulnerabilities in Tor