Join Kacie Hultgren for an in-depth discussion in this video The extrusion generator, part of Learning Tinkercad.
- [Instructor] The extrusion generator is…one of my favorites.…It allows you to create a wide variety of organic shapes.…So, I'm already over here on the Featured…Shape Generators menu.…I'll scroll down and find the extrusion generator.…Now, the icon is pretty basic, so it's kind of…easy to overlook.…I'll hit "F" to focus in.…Now, essentially, this is a extrusion of a 2-D shape,…and we have a lot of control over…what that 2-D shape looks like.…We can click and drag on these various handles…to change this outline.…
You can also pull out these handles…to change the shape of the curve.…This feels really similar to a vector program,…like Illustrator, though the behaviors of the handles…aren't exactly the same.…If you want to make a sharp corner, you hold down…the "alt" or "option" key, and then pull on these handles.…I'll continue holding the alt-option key while…I grab the other one.…And if you want to return to that rounded mode,…you can click on and drag any of the handle,…and they'll both pop back.…
We also have the option to snap to the grid.…
To learn more about 3D printing with your Tinkercad designs, check out Kacie's companion course, Up and Running with 3D Printing.
- Working with the Tinkercad interface
- Adding and moving 3D shapes
- Changing dimensions
- Measuring with the ruler
- Using hole shapes
- Creating patterns
- Working with Shape Generators
- Building complex shapes
- Importing 2D and 3D assets
- Sharing your designs
Skill Level Beginner
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
1. Tinkercad Overview
2. Adding and Modifying Shapes
3. Using 3D Tools
4. Duplicating and Creating Patterns
5. Shape Generators and Special Tools
6. Creating Complex Shapes
7. Importing Assets
8. Finishing a Design
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.