Join Kacie Hultgren for an in-depth discussion in this video Measuring with the ruler, part of Learning Tinkercad.
- [Narrator] Let's explore the various ways…to use the ruler tool as well as…some of the things that the ruler can't do.…I'll start by dragging a pyramid…and a box to the center of my work plane.…Then I'll grab the ruler from the top of the panel…and drag it between them.…You can also use the shortcut key "r".…I'll zoom in here for a better look.…So we have a bunch of measurements pop up…and they fall into three main categories.…So first, highlighted in blue are the dimensions…of the object itself.…
I can type in new values to change those.…Then highlighted in green is the offset…of the object from the origin…which is this little circle here.…It's kind of like the start of the ruler.…And then finally, we have the offset…of the object from the work plane.…Can change this value.…You get that visual feedback that…there's a shadow under the object…which said that's floating above the work plane.…Now let's take a closer look at the origin…because there's a little bit more here than meets the eye.…So the origin is the circle here…
To learn more about 3D printing with your Tinkercad designs, check out Kacie's companion course, Up and Running with 3D Printing.
- Working with the Tinkercad interface
- Adding and moving 3D shapes
- Changing dimensions
- Measuring with the ruler
- Using hole shapes
- Creating patterns
- Working with Shape Generators
- Building complex shapes
- Importing 2D and 3D assets
- Sharing your designs
Skill Level Beginner
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
1. Tinkercad Overview
2. Adding and Modifying Shapes
3. Using 3D Tools
4. Duplicating and Creating Patterns
5. Shape Generators and Special Tools
6. Creating Complex Shapes
7. Importing Assets
8. Finishing a Design
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.