Join Kacie Hultgren for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing Tinkercad, part of Learning Tinkercad (2015).
- Tinkercad is a web-based CAD platform and it requires a Chrome web browser to run properly. Let's start by opening up Chrome and navigating to Tinkercad.com. Click on "Start Tinkering now". You'll need to either sign in or create a new username. I already have a username so I'll go ahead and sign in. Now if this is your first time using Tinkercad, you'll automatically be presented with a series of tutorials to get you started. You can go ahead and complete a few if you like, or click on the Tinkercad logo in the upper left-hand corner to bring you to your profile page.
If you want to check out the in-app tutorials at a later date, you can always find them under "Learn". For now, let's click on "Create a New Design" to get started. You can move on to the next video to learn more.
This is a great first course for those who are new to 3D, but for those who want to learn more about the printing side, check out Kacie's companion course, Up and Running with 3D Printing.
- Working with the Tinkercad interface
- Adding and moving 3D shapes
- Changing dimensions
- Selecting strategies
- Measuring with Ruler
- Aligning shapes
- Using the Mirror tool
- Creating and duplicating patterns
- Working with shape and text generators
- Importing 2D and 3D assets
- Naming and sharing designs