Join Kacie Hultgren for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating linear patterns, part of Learning Tinkercad.
- [Narrator] Tinkercad has a hidden method…of creating patterns or arrays.…Here's how to do it.…I'll drag a pyramid onto the work plane.…Then I'll use the duplicate button…and drag that object off to the side,…maybe using a shift key to constrain that movement,…can even type in a more exact value here.…Then I'll click on that button again…to create additional copies.…Instead of just duplicating in place,…those additional copies are duplicated…and offset with the same settings…that I used in the first move.…
And I'll just make note that if I change my view here…and do duplicate some more,…the objects maintain that original pattern that's been set.…Changing my view doesn't alter the direction…of the duplication like it does…when you're using copy and paste.…Okay, let's delete a few of these leaving just one.…I want to investigate this pattern setting move…just a little bit further.…What are all our options?…So the real key is the shape really needs…to stay selected throughout the entire operation.…
If you un-select you're going to have to delete it…
To learn more about 3D printing with your Tinkercad designs, check out Kacie's companion course, Up and Running with 3D Printing.
- Working with the Tinkercad interface
- Adding and moving 3D shapes
- Changing dimensions
- Measuring with the ruler
- Using hole shapes
- Creating patterns
- Working with Shape Generators
- Building complex shapes
- Importing 2D and 3D assets
- Sharing your designs
Skill Level Beginner
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
1. Tinkercad Overview
2. Adding and Modifying Shapes
3. Using 3D Tools
4. Duplicating and Creating Patterns
5. Shape Generators and Special Tools
6. Creating Complex Shapes
7. Importing Assets
8. Finishing a Design
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.