Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Using exposure gradients, part of Up and Running with Tiffen Dfx.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- In the strictest sense, graduated filters…were made for horizon lines.…Particularly when you're dealing with tough exposure.…With this shot here, it's a bit hard.…We've got a blown out sky…and a subject walking through a shadowy area.…This is shot on a DSLR, so the ability to recover…those blown out highlights, is pretty much lost.…What I can do, is work to enhance this scene a bit.…Let's start with the neutral density gradient, the ND-Grad.…
I'll apply that.…You'll notice, it's a pretty simple fade.…With the presets, you could apply a direction,…Bottom-to-top, Top-to-bottom, etcetera.…Within this interface,…it's a little bit difficult to control.…Using the targets here, you could be more precise.…I could set the lower right corner to be there…and move this lower left up a bit,…creating a more natural transition.…
Using the F Stop, I've essentially…knocked this down five stops.…Without a raw file, it's going to just look…a bit artificial, so use it minimally.…At a lower value, it does remove…some of the distraction of the bright sky…
- Running Tiffen Dfx as a video or photo plugin
- Choosing a category and a filter
- Working with filter presets
- Limiting filters with masks
- Masking for precision
- Processing film with Film Lab filters
- Using the HFX Diffusion filters
- Correcting color and lens issues
- Refining light
- Using special effects
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Up and Running with HDR Efex Pro 2.0with Tim Grey1h 21m Beginner
Up and Running with Photomatix Prowith Richard Harrington3h 32m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Perfect Photo Suite 8with Abba Shapiro3h 41m Appropriate for all
1. An Overview of Tiffen Dfx
2. The Dfx Workflow
3. Masking for Precision
4. Film Lab Essentials
5. HFX Diffusion Essentials
6. HFX Gradients and Tints
7. Modifying the Image
8. Correcting Lens Issues and Adding Effects
9. Refining Light
10. Using Special Effects
Final thoughts1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.