Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Softening skin with Nude/FX, part of Up and Running with Tiffen Dfx.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- While I generally prefer diffusion for softening skin, there is an alternative approach using gels or grats. Let's see how it works. First, I'll make this a smart object, and then apply the DFX package. Make sure to reset the image. The nude effects category is designed for really bringing out some of the skin tones. Let's zoom in here. Now, what's happening is a color gel designed to adjust the skin.
Now, essentially, it's applying a skin tone on top of the skin tones, warming the shot a bit. If we split this, you might find it a bit easier to see. Let's take it down the center. No diffusion has occurred, but the skin colors have been enriched, and I think it's pretty good. If you're looking for something very subtle, and you just want to bring out the skin tones, the nude effects can go a long way.
Additionally, feel free to explore some of the split tone options that we talked about earlier, bringing out different colors in the hair and the mid-tones for the skin, or sometimes the use of a sepia filter can also be a useful way to manipulate skin tones. Don't go too strong, but lower values of three to five tend to be a nice, quick fix. As we look at that image before and after, you see that the colors are enriched, and it takes on a darker, moodier feel.
- Running Tiffen Dfx as a video or photo plugin
- Choosing a category and a filter
- Working with filter presets
- Limiting filters with masks
- Masking for precision
- Processing film with Film Lab filters
- Using the HFX Diffusion filters
- Correcting color and lens issues
- Refining light
- Using special effects
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Up and Running with HDR Efex Pro 2.0with Tim Grey1h 21m Beginner
Up and Running with Photomatix Prowith Richard Harrington3h 32m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Perfect Photo Suite 8with Abba Shapiro3h 41m Appropriate for all
1. An Overview of Tiffen Dfx
2. The Dfx Workflow
3. Masking for Precision
4. Film Lab Essentials
5. HFX Diffusion Essentials
6. HFX Gradients and Tints
7. Modifying the Image
8. Correcting Lens Issues and Adding Effects
9. Refining Light
10. Using Special Effects
Final thoughts1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.