Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Gradient masks, part of Learning Tiffen Dfx.
- The ability to add Masks is an essential level of control.…Now you can choose, of course,…to use Masks inside of a tool,…like Adobe Photoshop,…but the Tiffen Dfx package has it's own masking tools…that are very intuitive and in many cases,…better than those inside of Photoshop.…Let's explore a simple Gradient Mask to get things started.…In this particular image, I'd like to have parts…of the image fall out of focus a bit.…I'd like the things that are further away to get softer…and, while that naturally occurred in camera,…I want to push this a bit further.…
Let's start by making this a Smart Object,…that's a Photoshop feature,…and then I'll apply a Tiffen Filter,…this case the Dfx package.…Let's jump right to some of the Lens controls here,…and use the Rack Focus.…Now you see that that blooms things out,…and got quite a bit brighter.…If I just want to go for shallow depth of field,…the Depth of Field option might work a bit better.…
Now, as you look at some of these,…some of these filters have their own…graduated filters built in.…
- Running Tiffen Dfx as a video or photo plugin
- Choosing a category and a filter
- Working with filter presets
- Limiting filters with masks
- Masking for precision
- Processing film with Film Lab filters
- Using the HFX Diffusion filters
- Correcting color and lens issues
- Refining light
- Using special effects
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. An Overview of Tiffen Dfx
2. The Dfx Workflow
3. Masking for Precision
4. Film Lab Essentials
5. HFX Diffusion Essentials
6. HFX Gradients and Tints
7. Modifying the Image
8. Correcting Lens Issues and Adding Effects
9. Refining Light
10. Using Special Effects
Final thoughts1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.