Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling vignettes, part of Up and Running with Tiffen Dfx.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- I couldn't help myself earlier.…You've probably picked up that I like the vignette filter.…Now vignettes are a way to guide the viewer's eye…if you're using them artistically…by darkening or brightening the edges…and they're often used to stylize an image…but they can also be corrective…lightening or darkening areas of the image…that might not be properly exposed.…The vignette controls inside of Tiffen DFX are extensive…and I find myself using them often…in both my photo and video work flows.…
Let's start with a video clip here…and I'll apply the vignette effect.…As a preset it's a bit strong.…But the controls are really easy.…This is one of those that you can use the DFX interface…but I find it pretty quick to work…right within the native editing tool often.…I generally switch to seeing the shape first.…
This makes it easy to control things.…So you want more blur…you can dial that in.…That's going to blur the edges of the frame.…Let's leave that at a medium value for now.…Then down here let's tweak the size.…Roundness is the overall shape.…
- Running Tiffen Dfx as a video or photo plugin
- Choosing a category and a filter
- Working with filter presets
- Limiting filters with masks
- Masking for precision
- Processing film with Film Lab filters
- Using the HFX Diffusion filters
- Correcting color and lens issues
- Refining light
- Using special effects
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Up and Running with HDR Efex Pro 2.0with Tim Grey1h 21m Beginner
Up and Running with Photomatix Prowith Richard Harrington3h 32m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Perfect Photo Suite 8with Abba Shapiro3h 41m Appropriate for all
1. An Overview of Tiffen Dfx
2. The Dfx Workflow
3. Masking for Precision
4. Film Lab Essentials
5. HFX Diffusion Essentials
6. HFX Gradients and Tints
7. Modifying the Image
8. Correcting Lens Issues and Adding Effects
9. Refining Light
10. Using Special Effects
Final thoughts1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.