Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Editing a 360° still, part of Ricoh Theta: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques.
- I've been poking around on Youtube and Facebook…looking at things that people have shot with a Theta,…and there's some cool stuff out there.…But I gotta say I get really annoyed.…Gosh, that makes me sound petty,…alright maybe I'm not full on annoyed.…I'm just surprised that people…aren't treating the Theta they would a normal camera.…It's the very rare serious photographer…who would just grab something straight out of the camera…and post it right online…without doing some adjustment to it first.…Don't get lazy with the Theta,…just because it's 360 doesn't mean that you can't adjust it…and doesn't mean that it doesn't need tonal adjustments.…
Pretty much all of the images…I'm pulling out of the Theta need some adjustment…because most of the times you're inherently…in a very high dynamic range situation.…Because with a normal camera you might turn your back…to one bright light and shoot in a pretty evenly lit area.…With the 360 there's no turning your back to the light,…there's always gonna be one part that's bright.…
- Controlling the Theta with buttons or from an iPhone
- Shooting a 360° still with the Theta
- Editing 360° VR images
- Stitching time-lapse videos
- Using the Theta to create the "tiny planet" effect