Join Laura Franz for an in-depth discussion in this video Additional resources, part of Typography for Web Designers.
The main project for this course is a list of typography resources I highly recommend.…I did this purposely to introduce you to books and web sites on typography…before you even got to the end of this course.…But I'd like to take a moment to share some of my favorite resources.…Even as an experienced typographer, I still like to be reminded of how other…excellent, engaged typographers think about and use type.…For this there is no better web site than ilovetypography.com.…
It inspires me every time and John Boardley is a great typographer.…You can trust his advice.…As a web typographer I find A List Apart keeps me on my toes, moving forward in my field.…Nicewebtype.com keeps me informed, because Tim Brown is great at compiling…everything that comes his way about typography, and he knows type. You can…trust his advice too.…FontSquirrel and Google web fonts keep me abreast of free fonts, which is…important to my students.…
They're both on top of the font linking technology.…Hues Hub helps me pick my colors, HTML Dog keeps me going at 3 am when I…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.