Join Laura Franz for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding and removing space between the navigation links, part of Typography for Web Designers.
In this lesson we're going to start making the links in the modernist…bibliography look the way we want them to.…One thing we need to attend to in the process is the space between…the navigation links.…You'll need the files biblio_sans_ linkstates.html and biblio_sans_linkatates.css…from the Exercise folder.…Open up the HTML file in the browser to see what we're working with. Al the…links are in place, but they're defaulting to blue and they're underlined…and the links at the top all run together in a single line with no space between them.…
We're going to style the navigation links so they look the way we want them to.…Here is a screenshot of what they should look like. So let's open up our CSS.…First, let's note that the syntax were about to write is for the navigation links.…I'm going to go ahead and select this notation and copy it and down at the…bottom where we've started some of our syntax for our links, I'm going to paste…it and I'm going to write in that this is for our navigation links.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.