Join Nate Makdad for an in-depth discussion in this video Using level of detail (LOD) variables in calculations, part of Creating Interactive Dashboards in Tableau 10.
- [Instructor] Level of detail expressions…are a valuable tool for analyzing data…because they allow us to work with the data…other than at the view level.…We're going to do some basic level of detail expressions,…or LOD expressions,…really to just introduce…and also help further our dashboard.…Really to try and understand…the importance of LOD expressions,…I've added a new sheet…called Increase in Education Spending.…Really what I was thinking was to help understand…the potential growth for online learning.…One of the other elements we need to look at is education.…
And I thought something that would be very interesting…was how countries have increased their spending on education…based on their percentage of GDP.…So this is using our secondary UN data source…and really in this view…what I want to do is calculate the first year,…and, for Argentina, that's 2005,…against the last year of data,…so in this case 2013 for Argentina.…And just see do we see some countries…that really increased their spending?…And so, would that factor in…
- Sketching your designs
- Formatting data
- Creating cross-data joins
- Creating visuals
- Grouping data
- Using stories vs. tabs
- Changing chart measures and types with interactive parameters
- Making iterations and improvements on your Tableau dashboard design
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization: Storytellingwith Bill Shander1h 37m Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
1. Tableau Dashboards
2. Worksheet Design
3. Dashboard Design
4. Designing Interactivity
5. Keeping Your Dashboard Up to Date
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.