Tableau lets you summarize data at different levels of aggregation. In this video, learn how to use level of detail expressions.
- [Instructor] One terrific Tableau capability … is the level of detail expression. … Most calculations happen at a specific level, … such as the sheet level, table grid level, … or other level. … Level of detail expressions let you specify the level … at which you want your calculation to occur. … In this movie, … I will show you how to define level of detail expressions, … and give an example of their use. … My sample file is 04_05_LevelOfDetail, … and you can find it in the Chapter 4 folder … of the exercise files collection. … The visualization on Sheet 1, … it shows quarterly sales for 2017 through 2018. … Let's say that I want to find the difference … between a specific quarter sales and the overall average. … So, in other words, if the average were 100, … and the sales for a particular quarter were 110, … the difference would be positive 10, … and that would be shown on the graph. … To do that, I need to create a level of detail expression. … It can be a little tricky … to use level of detail expressions correctly, …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.