Join Nate Makdad for an in-depth discussion in this video Managing data format, part of Creating Interactive Dashboards in Tableau.
- Preparing our data set for Tableau…is a necessity to make sure we can do…the type of analysis we need to…to be able to better explore and understand our data.…This may not apply to all data sets that you get…but one of the first things I look at…before importing a data set…is looking how the underlying data is structured.…So I'm going to move off of the Definitions and Source tab…and move over to the Data tab,…scroll over so I can see all of my columns.…This comes up a lot.…You may receive an Excel file from someone…that they've used to maintain the data…or it could be like this…where it's a data extract from another tool.…
These formats and layouts are not always…best suited for Tableau.…One of the things that stands out to be about this data set…is that we've got year data so we may well…want to do a trend on how these different metrics…have changed or trended over time.…However, if we were to just import this data file,…when Tableau reads and imports the data…it's going to be looking at and creating…all of these year columns…
- Building worksheets to feed dashboards
- Formatting data
- Creating visuals
- Creating calculated fields and sets
- Designing the dashboard
- Adding interactive parameters
- Keeping your Tableau dashboard up to date
Skill Level Intermediate
Excel Data Analysis: Forecastingwith Wayne Winston3h 7m Intermediate
Up and Running with Excel What-If Analysiswith Curt Frye1h 10m Intermediate
Cleaning Up Your Excel 2013 Datawith Dennis Taylor1h 59m Appropriate for all
1. Tableau Dashboards
2. Worksheet Design
3. Dashboard Design
4. Designing Interactivity with Parameters
5. Keeping Your Dashboard Up to Date
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.