Parameters are Tableau worksheet controls that can be used to limit the data that appears in a worksheet. In this video, learn how to filter data using parameters.
- [Narrator] When you define a filter, … Tableau limits the visualization summary … to the values you want. … You can always edit a filter to change the values … it shows, but it's handy to use a visible control … to make those changes. … If you create a top filter, you can use … a parameter control to indicate how many values … you want displayed. … I'll show you how to add a parameter … to a filter in this movie. … My sample file is 06_08_Parameter, … and you can find it in the chapter six folder … of the exercise files collection. … In this workbook I have a single sheet … and on it a visualization for sales totals … called order totals here, by state. … Let's say that I want to define a parameter … that will allow me to select the top one … to seven states. … So in other words I can show one, two, three, … all the way up to seven. … To do that, I need to define a parameter … and we're looking at order total … as our controlling variable, so I will go over … to the measures section of the data panel …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.