Tableau data sources often contain metadata, which is data about data. In this video, learn how to display source metadata.
- [Instructor] When you work with a Tableau visualization, … you will often create a data connection … and start your analysis. … If you want information about … a specific workbook's data source or sources, … you can view the workbook's metadata … to see where each field comes from. … In this movie, I will demonstrate how to find the metadata … for the data sources feeding into your workbook. … My sample file is 02_09_Metadata, … and you can find it in the chapter two folder … of your exercise files collection. … I have created a basic visualization. … Just a table that you see here. … Let's say that I want to discover … where all this data's coming from. … To do that, I can go to the data source, … so I click the data source tab … at the bottom left corner of the program window. … And then on the bar just above the data table here, … the preview table, I can click the manage metadata button. … So I'll click that. … When I do, you see that I have a list of the field names, … and those are the field names as displayed in Tableau, …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.