URL actions are Tableau worksheet objects that lead to web and other resources. In this video, learn how to define a URL action.
- [Instructor] Tableau workbooks … let you create terrific visualizations … but they rarely tell the entire story about your data. … If you want to create a link to an outside data source, … such as a webpage, you can create a URL action … to add that link to your dashboard. … I'll show you how to do that in this movie. … My sample file is 13_05_URL. … You can find it in the chapter 13 folder … of the exercise files collection. … In this workbook, I have displayed the Dashboard 1 sheet, … and you see the dashboard here. … Let's say that I want to define a URL action … that will take me to the Tableau online help system. … To create that action, I can go to the Dashboard menu, … and then click Actions. … In the Actions dialog box, I can click Add Action, … and once there, I will click Go to URL. … When I do, the Add URL Action dialog box appears … and there are a number of things I can change. … The first is the Name. … So let's say that I'll change the Name to Tableau Help. … And I have the Source Sheets, …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.