Selection filters identify specific values to be displayed in a Tableau visualization. In this video, learn how to create a selection filter.
- [Instructor] When you save data in a Tableau workbook, … the program maintains an internal list … of the values in each column. … If you want to filter a column … so only certain values appear, … you can take advantage of that internal list … by creating a selection filter. … In this movie, I will show you … how to create a selection filter … to limit the data that appears in your worksheet. … My sample file is 0603selection … and you can find it in the chapter six folder … of your exercise files collection. … In this workbook, I have a single worksheet … and on it I have a tree map visualization, … which shows the share of order total … for each of the states from which the Two Trees … Olive Oil Company has received orders. … Size and color both indicate the relative magnitude … of the sales. … So, for example, you can see California had the most … with 2,016, Florida has 1,567, Ohio 1,275, … Texas 1,070 and so on. … Let's say that you want to focus on only a few states … and you want to name them individually. …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.