A single column in a Tableau data source might not provide the information you need to get the sort you want. In this video, learn how to create a nested sort.
- [Instructor] Sorting data using the value … in a single field is appropriate in many cases. … However, you might also need to sort data … using values in more than one field. … In previous versions of Tableau, … you needed to combine fields or use … a calculated field to make that happen. … However, new in 2019, is the ability … to create what's called a nested sort. … In this movie, I will demonstrate … how to perform a nested sort. … My sample file is 06_02_NestedSort … and you can find it in the chapter six folder … of the exercise files collection. … This visualization displays … products by product category, then by product name, … and order total here is used to … fill in the data area, but it's not used for sorting. … If I want to change the sort criteria … for a product category, for example bottle and case, … then I can go to product category, … hovering my mouse pointer over it, … and you see the sort button right here. … It's currently sorted in descending order. … You see the downward pointing arrow. …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.