Tableau includes many built-in functions, but you will probably need to define custom calculations. In this video, learn how to create a calculated field on a shelf.
- [Instructor] One capability in Tableau … is that you can create a custom field by adding a formula … to one of the shelves in the program window. … In this movie, I will show you how to build a formula … and a field at the same time. … My sample is 04_03_Shelf and you can find it in … the chapter four folder of the exercise files collection. … In this workbook, I have a single worksheet … and on it, I have the start of a table. … I have each product but I don't have … anything listed for sales. … Let's assume that I don't know the total of each order. … I do, in fact, what we're doing in this movie … is recreating the order total field. … But let's say that you don't have a quantity that you want … such as order total. … That's price times quantity. … If you want to add that calculation to your visualization … by creating a temporary field, you can go to any shelf. … In this case, I'll double-click on the Column shelf. … And you can see that the outline of a pill has appeared. … Now I need to create a formula. …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.