Tableau maps display data in relation to geographic entities. In this video, learn how to create a basic map.
- [Instructor] Creating maps in Tableau … is a straightforward process, … but there are some quirks to it. … I wanted to make a movie … to walk you through the process … of creating a basic map in Tableau. … As my sample file, I'll be using … the 12_01_CreateMap workbook, … and you can find that in the chapter 12 folder … of the exercise files collection. … I have connected to my Excel data file, … and that contains three tables: … Customers, Orders, and Products. … Over in the Data panel, you can see … that I have scrolled up, all the way to the top, … and I see the Customers table and its fields. … You can identify a field with a geographic role … by the symbol next to the field name. … It looks like a stylized globe. … And here we have City, which has the geographic … data type indicator next to it, … as do State and ZIP Code. … If you want to add a geographic entity … to a visualization in the form of a map, … just double click it. … There might be some processing time, … but you can see here that City has been added. …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.