Data sources provide values for Tableau visualizations. In this video, learn how to connect to a data source.
- [Instructor] When you are ready to create … a visualization within Tableau, … you need to connect to an outside data source. … In this movie, I will show you how to connect to an Excel … workbook but the skills that you've learned here will … apply to other types of data sources as well. … I have opened Tableau and I have a blank workbook, … now I can go to the left side of the screen … and in the connect section of the navigation bar … I can indicate the type of file that I want to connect to. … We've got Microsoft Excel, Text, JSON, Access and so on. … In this case I want to connect to an Excel file, … so I'll click Microsoft Excel, then I can navigate … to the folder that contains the file to which I want … to connect, in this case the chapter two folder … of the exercise files collection. … And I will double click the file I want to connect to … and that is all data, so I'll double click the … all data workbook, and I see my connection. … I have a table within that file called combined data, …
- Managing data sources and visualizations
- Managing Tableau worksheets and workbooks
- Displaying source metadata
- Creating custom calculations and fields
- Analyzing data using statistical tools
- Sorting and filtering Tableau data
- Defining groups and sets
- Creating and pivoting crosstabs
- Formatting Tableau visualizations
- Creating basic charts
- Annotating and formatting charts
- Mapping geographic data
- Creating dashboards
- Methods for defining an URL-based action
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Tableau
2. Manage Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Manage Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Create Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyze Data
6. Sort and Filter Tableau Data
7. Define Groups and Sets
8. Develop and Pivot Crosstabs
9. Create Basic Visualizations
10. Format Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotate and Format Visualizations
12. Map Geographic Data
13. Build Dashboards and Actions
14. Tableau 2019.2 Updates
Define parameter actions4m 43s
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.