User choices can include calculations on the data, different metrics, or even chart types. Examine a few different ways we can incorporate these choices into our dashboard to allow users to drill or view data as needed.
- [Instructor] All right, so we've already seen one way…that we can use parameters to give people the ability…to change options within a chart.…We can also use parameters…to actually change charts altogether,…so what people actually view on the screen.…Though people really love maps, sometimes it might be useful…to provide the information in a bar chart as well.…So I want to give people the option to be able to see…this first chart where internet usage and population size…because right now we could add some of the information,…but you got to hover over each one to be able to see it also…as a bar chart, so people can digest that information…through a bar chart as well.…
What I'm going to do is go ahead,…and I'm just going to jump over to this sheet,…is go ahead and create now a new parameter in our set here.…I'm going to create, and parameter,…and we're going to go ahead and just clear all.…And this one is going to be called chart type,…and we're going to leave it as string.…List is good for values, and now I'm going to have a map,…
- Sketching your designs
- Formatting data
- Creating cross-data joins
- Creating visuals
- Grouping data
- Using stories vs. tabs
- Changing chart measures and types with interactive parameters
- Making iterations and improvements on your Tableau dashboard design
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization: Storytellingwith Bill Shander1h 37m Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
1. Tableau Dashboards
2. Worksheet Design
3. Dashboard Design
4. Designing Interactivity
5. Keeping Your Dashboard Up to Date
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.