Get an overview of best practices for creating/refining dashboards in Tableau.
- [Narrator] Though building dashboards…takes a bit of creativity,…there is as much a science to it as an art.…There are some key best practices for designing…and building Tableau dashboards.…So really our five key design principles,…you need relevant metrics,…we want to make it visual,…we want to make it interactive,…we want to make it easy to use…and we always want to focus on improving it.…So the first one, you need to pick relevant metrics.…At the heart of the dashboards are a visual tool…to help people view and interpret data,…but we also want to make sure that our metrics matter.…
This really fits in with our design process,…but it's important to get stakeholders involved…so that we can identify the metrics…to be included in our dashboard…so we want to get our stakeholders involved early…even before maybe we even start analyzing the data…and we want to remember if it doesn't get measured,…it doesn't get improved…so we only want to focus on the metrics that we're interested…in improving or taking action on.…
- Sketching your designs
- Formatting data
- Creating cross-data joins
- Creating visuals
- Grouping data
- Using stories vs. tabs
- Changing chart measures and types with interactive parameters
- Making iterations and improvements on your Tableau dashboard design
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization: Storytellingwith Bill Shander1h 37m Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
1. Tableau Dashboards
2. Worksheet Design
3. Dashboard Design
4. Designing Interactivity
5. Keeping Your Dashboard Up to Date
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.