Learn about the Trace Log Tool. Unlike other log viewers, this tool shows the data as the log file is written or updated. The Log File Viewer shows the most recently updated lines written to log file.
- [Instructor] The Trace Log Tool that comes…with System Center Configuration Manager…helps the administrator to see logs in real time…in a much more friendly way…than just opening the files in a text editor.…Let's go ahead and install this…by going to the SMS setup folder on our DVD.…Then, we'll go to tools, and we'll go ahead…and double click on the CMTrace.exe.…We'll go ahead and use this as the default…for our log files.…From here, we'll go ahead and click on the folder…to open up a file and it automatically finds the log files…that we need from System Center Configuration Manager.…
Let's go ahead and take a look at our ADForestDiscovery log.…And here are the logs so far discovered…on this particular log file.…Let's go ahead and open a different log file.…Let's scrolls down and let's take a look…at our performance setup log.…By contrast, if we go into the logs folder…through File Explorer and we right click…and choose open with and choose Notepad,…we can see it's a lot more difficult to see the logs…than when we use the Trace Log Tool.…
Note: Existing knowledge of Windows Servers and basic networking is recommended prior to watching this course.
- Creating device and user collections
- Configuring maintenance windows
- Configuring resource discovery
- Distributing content
- Creating queries and reports
- Deploying operating systems
- Maintaining the management infrastructure