Join Daniel Lachance for an in-depth discussion in this video What is System Center 2016 Service Manager?, part of Learning System Center 2016 Service Manager.
- [Instructor] Microsoft System Center 2016 consists of a number of tools. But what exactly is Service Manager? The Service Manager tool is really an Enterprise IT process management tool. In other words, we have IT processes that might be related to things like users requesting new hardware, or the new user onboarding processing granting application access. All of that can be done through Service Manager, as well as help desk ticketing type of functions.
So really it deals with things like change management, incident management, and problem management to name just a few. We also have reports that can be run to gauge our IT service delivery and management efficiency. This is done through the Service Manager data warehouse component. That's a separate server installation that talks to our Service Manager management server. Service Manager is also based on industry standard frameworks. This like ITIL and MOF, that is the Microsoft Operations Framework, where ITIL is the Information Technology Infrastructure Library.
Both of these frameworks are designed to make IT processes as efficient as possible from beginning to end while minimizing downtime and cost and improving the user experience. Service Manager is also important because it can be used to ensure compliance with things like laws or regulations in terms of how IT systems are treated, as well as meeting service level objectives. In other words, making sure, for example, that high priority, high impact issues get dealt with in a timely fashion.
Like pretty much all system centered components, Service Manager can be managed using the Service Manager console, which is a GUI management tool. You'll find the same thing with other system server products like Config Manager, Data Protection Manager and so on. They have a GUI management console of some kind. But also, and it's similar to the other items, we have Command Line Interface or CLI management using Service Manger Power Shell commandlets. And these lend themselves nicely for automation of configuration tasks related to Service Manager.
- What is System Center 2016 Service Manager (SM)?
- Installing the SM data warehouse server
- Configuring SM
- Configuring incident, problem, and change request settings
- Creating incidents, problems, and change requests
- Creating a compliance baseline workflow
- Publishing a service offering to the Self-Service Portal