tvOS is built into Xcode 7 for developers to build apps targeted for the Apple TV. Apple TV apps don't run on smaller devices- they are designed for 1080p screens. In addition, tvOS apps don't have interaction through touches or clicks. In this movie, see the differences between developing for tvOS and standard iOS.
- [Voiceover] Let's look at creating a TV application…using tvOS.…Just like with a Watch, I'm just showing you the basics.…Just to whet your appetite for looking at the other courses…in the library, and looking at Apple's documentation.…Again, there are entire courses on developing for tvOS,…so I recommend those if this piques your interest at all.…So you can create a tvOS app under tvOS Application,…and here we have a few different options.…You can create a Game, a Single View App,…or a Tabbed Application.…
So we don't have as many options as we do for iOS now,…but chances are, over time,…these options may expand.…So I'm going to choose Single View Application…and click Next.…I'll call this TExample.…I'm going to leave everything else…at the defaults and click Next,…and I'll save this in the appropriate folder.…Again, if you have the Exercise Files,…don't save it in the final folder.…I'll click Create,…and here we have our TV example.…Now, when we want to test it, you're going to see…we can test it, Apple TV 1080p.…
Interested in developing for Apple Watch or Apple TV? Get a sneak peek in Chapter 9. The course wraps up with a look at the submission process for the App Store.
- Installing Xcode and the iOS SDK
- Creating a simple iOS app
- Creating a basic interaction with a button
- Choosing an object as a first responder
- Creating a user interface with Interface Builder and Auto Layout
- Working with sliders and progress bars
- Creating views to show images and web pages
- Developing responsive layouts with size classes
- Understanding the iOS architecture
- Loading data in table views
- Transitioning between views
- Developing for the iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV
- Submitting apps to the App Store
Skill Level Beginner
1. Prepare to Develop an iOS App
2. Core Skills
3. Basic iOS UI
4. More UI Objects
5. Size Classes
6. iOS Application Architecture
7. Table Views
8. Multiple-View Applications
9. iPad, Watch, and Apple TV Development
10. Finish and Submit to the App Store
Next steps2m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.