Learn about the advantages of running Swift on the server and the benefits of having complete control of your back-end system.
- [Instructor] Apple introduced Swift…programming language in 2014.…Just like Objective-C, developers were able…to use the Swift programming language…to create their iOS and Mac applications.…Swift was also instantly loved by developers because of…its elegant syntax and safe programming practices.…In December 2015, Swift went open source…giving it the ability to run on the server.…
That meant that developers were able to use…their existing Swift skills, which they utilized…to create iOS and Mac applications; but now they can…even create a backend services for their app.…This also meant that developers don't have to put…a large dependency on a third-party system…for their backend, which may or may not exist in the future.…Fast forward to today, and there are many…different server-side Swift frameworks…available for developers to choose from.…
Next we are going to look at the top…server-side frameworks available for iOS developers.…
- Reviewing the concepts behind server-side Swift programming
- Different server-side Swift frameworks
- Setting up a Kitura project
- Adding HeliumLogger for debugging
- Accessing JSON passed parameters using Kitura.
- Reading URL parameters and URL encoded form parameters
- Configuring the PostgreSQL database
- Fetching, inserting, and deleting records from the database
- Integrating a Kitura API with an iPhone app